Wednesday, September 20, 2006

When the fur flies

This last weekend my family and I adopted our third animal. This is the second additional to our animal family in less than a month. About three weeks ago we "adopted" a dog from a friend because she was having issues with the other dogs in the house. She needed to be in a one dog household…so we got her. She is great and is such a love, but her and our first cat (Diva) just had a hard time getting along.

About two weeks ago my DH and I went to a local pet supply store to get rawhide chews, some doggie treats and a few other items for our new pooch. While we were there we saw that they had puppy and kitten adoption clinics. All the animals were so cute and we initially just looked with no intention of getting another living thing into our home. While we were there we saw an older female cat that had been fixed and declawed and thought she might fit in well.

We went back this last weekend and saw her there again. In the process of taking her out of her cage and trying to see if she would be good fit she hissed and spit on me and both my girls. Immediately, I was like NO this is not going to work. So we looked at a few more cages. I told my DH do not get attached to any of these other animals (he had been eyeing two little male kittens about 8 weeks old). I left him and my girls in the area of the kitten clinic and went to get some dog food. When I came back to get him and the kids to go I am told “Honey, don’t get mad, but I need a check for $90.” What? What did you do? I adopted this cute little guy here…he turns around and I see this tiny ball of fur sitting on his shoulders, so small that you can’t see him if you are looking at hubby from the front. All black with little wisps of white fuzzy hairs coming out on his sides and back. My heart melts and while I am angry that I wasn’t consulted, I saw the way the girls and my hubby looked at him and said “OK”

So now we have three animals. All of which are dear to my heart. While hubby doesn’t really like the dog and while the girls are starting to wear the new off of the kitten I feel complete. I think the new kitten has been great for both of the other animals. He has kind of been the bridge that has filled the gap between the hissing and spitting that our other cat has been doing to the dog and he has also become the object of affection of the dog. She is such a Mama dog and has had a litter of pups, but she still checks and rechecks everyone at night to ensure they are where they are supposed to be. If an animal could have OCD she has it.

Anyway, I am trying to get a picture of all there fur balls to post here…but getting an angry cat (she isn’t really angry, but plays at it well), a full size lab and an 8 week old kitten to all sit still in the same place at the same time….well it can be a challenge. Once I get it I’ll introduce you to our new additions.

No comments: