Saturday, April 22, 2006

Movies and Friday Nights


Well, I have to say that I had a really good time with my lady friends last night. At about 6 pm last night they showed up at our house with their husbands. We left and just went and had Mexican food at a local place and talked for about two hours before we came back to my house and checked on the guys. When we left them earlier they were debating about eating pizza or subs and who was going on the beer run. We got back to find a six pack of beer mostly gone, a pizza with sausage and bacon all gone and three men watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Now I have seen that movie at least once and I wouldn't think it would be a Friday night movie, but all three of them were really into it.

As my husband and I are huge movie fans. We probably own about 300 DVD's and will buy a movie to watch it once just to see if we like it or not. In the past year we decided to purge our collection of unwanted DVD's. This is not an easy task as we have so many. One Saturday about 2 months ago DH and I went to Ikea and bought these really cool DVD shelves to match our TV stand. They look like bookshelves, but hold DVD/CD's. We had been wanting something for a while, but just didn't know where to find what we wanted. Anyway, each of these shelf units holds about 100 DVD's when the shelves are set to display them upwards where the title can be seen. So we put them together and set them on either side of the TV stand. Start putting the DVD's in them and realize that they will not hold all the movies we have. We lived with that for about a month before I couldn't stand it anymore. Half of our movies were on display and the others were shoved in different areas of the TV stand. So we buy two more and have just enough room for all our movies. However, during this whole process DH and I thought it would be a good thing to purge our collection. Out of 300 DVD's we decide to get rid of .......30 DVD's. Yeah, that was a real purge. What happened?

Well, I guess when we started going through them we determined that we had three categories of movie, His, Mine and the kids. We didn't get rid of any of the kid movies because they all get watched. He didn't want to get rid of any of his because they are man movies. So that left me, and while I was OK with parting with a few of them I didn't want to get rid of all of them. So, I looked at the movies that were designated as "mine" and took all those that I had not watched in the last year and took them to the local library. That was a fun experience to know that my movies would be watched by someone else.

I don't know why I decided to share that story, just seemed like a good one to tell. However, what is totally ironic is with all the DVD's we have we still belong to Netflix and have paid channels and on a Friday night still watch rented movies.

Guess we are just a movie loving family.

Have a great day!
Lisa

No comments: