Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Clarifying

I have had a few comments/emails on my post about my previous job that I think I need to answer to clarify exactly how the situation came to a head. First of all, someone commented that I didn’t know for sure that my employees had given the copies of the emails to my boss. I should have clarified by saying that the week before I went on vacation one of my direct reports was put on disciplinary action for excessive absences. The day before I left she gave notice because she didn’t think that the action was fair and had found a new job (not one that I had sent her) that was closer to her home.

While I was on vacation another direct report gave notice. This lady pretty much had it out for me from the first day I got there. She felt that she was more qualified and deserved the job than I was. Needless, to say there was much animosity between us and the harder I tried to get her to see me as her boss the more she rebelled and just didn’t think that I should have been in the position.

Anyway, when she gave notice she did two things. One she purposely waited until I was gone (she later admitted this to a mutual friend) and two she brought copies of the emails with her (both the ones I sent her and the ones I sent the other lady). She had every intention of telling my boss exactly what he needed to hear to see me out the door.

Now, I don’t think I ever said that I was in anyway innocent of what I did. I know I was wrong in sending the job postings to the employees especially those who reported directly to me. I am not making excuses for that and I don’t think that the consequences were not dealt. I believe that I have paid my dues and suffered my punishment for these crimes. It is so hard going into another job interview and being asked why you left your last job and having to explain what happened.

Anyway, I am not saying that I am in the right and I am not saying that I should not have been let go. However, I did not send the emails with the intention of hurting anyone. However, the lady that went to my boss with those emails did have the intention of hurting me. She won, she got what she wanted. She was able to get rid of me and I am sure that she was happy about that at the time.

I have heard that she didn’t quit. After I left they gave her a promotion, but did not exactly give her my old job. I’m sure she is quite happy now and still working there. I do know wish her any ill will. I hope that she has finally found a place that she is happy, however, she had a lot of anger and other issues to deal with so who knows if she is truly happy.

Anyway, I know that I have finally moved on from that place in my life. I have taken the lessons I have learned and moved past it. I work for a great place now and I truly believe that God allowed this to happen in my life to teach me a lesson. I know that I have learned that lesson and become a much better person because of it.

Was I wrong to do what I did? Yes. Would I do it again? No. Would I want to go back to that environment in which I was in? No. Have I learned and grown? Yes. Have I asked for forgiveness? Many times!

In the end, that is all that matters.

No comments: