Monday, July 31, 2006

Reality TV

First of all I have to say that at some point in this entire reality TV craze that has been happening the last few years some network somewhere will come up with the money to buy the rights to all the great reality TV shows at some point. Until then…there is Bravo TV.

I know at least one other fellow blogger is a reality TV addict. I have to say that even Pink Lucy has me beat seeing as she watches Big Brother and a couple of others I don’t watch. I have to say that my tastes for reality TV really revolve around two networks….Fox and Bravo. I watched Survivor for a while and even watched Big Brother the first season, but lost interest pretty quickly. Currently my two favorite reality shows are Project Runway and Top Chef.

Top Chef just finished its first season a few weeks ago and I am so ready for the next season to begin. I know that each of these shows are filmed for 100 or 1000 of hours and only a few hours are cut and spliced together to give us the drama and entertainment we so crave. Why it is so fun for us to look at others on TV and be willing to sit for hours on end watch, re-watch and then discuss and get angry about the next episode.

Project Runway just started its third season and I have to say that I like the designers and setup better this time around. I know that many in the TV industry were criticizing the hurry to get this third season on the air; however, I think that Bravo has done a great job so far. I am really looking forward to the new episode this Wednesday.

I don’t know if Bravo will do another season of BlowOut, but something about Jonathan and his attitude was so interesting to me. I know that the network is trying to capitalize on the Beverly Hills awe by doing the Workout show now, but to be honest I really don’t find any of the people on that show nearly as interesting as the people on BlowOut.

Lastly, I have to say that I also love American Idol. I didn’t get on this band wagon until the second season, but once I watched a full 16 weeks (a college semester…LOL) of the show I was hooked. So much so that I took my oldest daughter to the AI concert last year. Can you believe that? I went as much for Bo Bice as I took her for Carrie Underwood….LOL.

So now, I have to say there are a few reality shows out there that I think should be banned for life. First of all the whole who wants to marry anybody type of shows need to never be broadcast again. Bridezilla, groomzilla or any sort of show that shows people freaking out over their weddings or other events need to be left off the air…in my opinion. Lastly, any reality TV show in which people have to act like total idiots to just get on TV…IE Are you Hot? So you think you can dance? Or America’s got talent….all of these need to go in my opinion….but that is my opinion…

So tell me…do you do reality TV?

3 comments:

Flamingos & Flip Flops said...

I love Project Runway...can't wait until this week's episode - gotta love the drama. Now, BlowOut, I couldn't get into season 3 - loved the first 2 seasons, but the last one was awful. I don't do any of the others, even though we love Deadliest Catch. My mother and sister basically watch all of them...

Liv said...

Can't really say that I'm in it to win it on the reality tv. The closest I get is watching The Girls Next Door like I'm a crack addict. The sheer psychology of a bunch of 20 somethings living dorm style with an 80 year old man charms the mind for hours. Now, give me any old terrible crap on E! or The Best Week Ever, and there's a recipe for getting some time lost! xoxo

~Crystal~ said...

Project Runway is one of my top fav shows! I honestly think it's close to #1. I LOVE Top Chef as well. Bravo always produces some good TV. I enjoyed Blow Out & have you seen Work Out?

As far as Bridezilla...I love that one too!