Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Faith of a Child

Matthew 18: 3-4

And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

In the bible we are told to have a “child-like” faith as seen in the above passage.

Yesterday as I sat at the edge of the swimming pool watching my oldest daughter interacting with some other girls that were there I was amazed by what I overheard. My oldest daughter never meets a stranger and can strike up a conversation with just about anyone. Therefore, for me to be privy to this conversation was very enlightening.

I sat there and pretended to read my book while eavesdropping on my daughter’s interaction with these two little girls. It went something like this:

My daughter: “Hi. What are your names?”
Other girls: “Emma and Michelle.”
My daughter: “Hi. I’m Britney.”
Other girls: “Cool. Do you want to play ball with us?”
My daughter: “Sure. That sounds like fun. I like your necklace.”
Oldest girl: “Thanks. I got it from my parents.”
My Daughter: “Do you go to church?”
Oldest girl: “Yes.”
My Daughter: “Have you been baptized?”
Oldest girl: “Yes. Have you?”
My Daughter: “Yes. Last year. My Mom got me this salvation bracelet. It is too big, but I
still like to look at it. Each stone represents something that Christ sacrificed for me.”
Oldest girl: “That sounds neat. My necklace says “Keep the Faith” It helps to remind me that God is always with me.”
My Daughter: “It makes me feel safe to know that I can always talk to God no matter where I am. I am so glad I have Him in my life.”
Oldest girl: “Yeah. Me too. I think that I like it best when I can tell Him the things that bug me.”
My Daughter: “That is cool. I want to be in this end of the pool so I can touch the bottom.”
Other girls: “OK. Score is 0 to 0”

This was amazing to me because each of these girls talked so freely of their faith. They were not ashamed or embarrassed to express their love for Christ.

As adults, we look so closely as what others think of us or how they perceive us. For those of us who are born again we sometimes feel we have to hide our faith in order to be accepted. However, if we would just have a “child-like” faith that embarrassment and shame would not enter the picture.

Yesterday watching and listening to my daughter interact with those two girls taught me two things. One, I need to be more open and willing to share my beliefs regardless of what others are going to think of me. Two, I am so proud that my daughter is in love with Christ and I want that relationship also.

Hope this wasn’t too heavy for anyone out there reading.

Blessings,
Lisa

1 comment:

Beth said...

Wow that is really neat. Sounds like she has had faith instilled in her heart at such a young age. As parents we try to be good examples to our children, but they can also be examples for us.