Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My Ambien Experience


A few weeks ago I went to my doctor because I had a urinary tract infection and I was there to give a new sample to be tested for God only knows what. While I was there I asked my doctor if I could talk to her about my current sleep patterns. She asked me what they were and I said they didn’t exist. Basically what happens is that each night my body starts to gear down for bed. My body gets tired and my breathing gets regular…somehow this is a sign to my brain that it needs to start making a to do list… Then I get up and go watch TV, play on the computer or read until sleep once again is able to take over my body.

The reason I wanted to talk to my doctor about this is that I was tired of taking 3 Tylenol PMs every night just to fall asleep and then on top of that I was also feeling rather groggy in the morning because my body could sleep off all the medication in time. So, we talked and we talked some more and she finally wrote me a prescription for Ambien. Now I have to say that I am not one to take drugs for most things. I will suffer through a cold, I will deal with the symptoms of allergies and the flu and I are best friends, but usually through all of this I do not take drugs (prescription or otherwise). Even when I had my UTI a few weeks ago I didn’t want to take drugs…however, infections do clear up better when treated with meds…..

She told me to take it only as needed because it was a “controlled” substance….much like the Zoloft she made me get a prescription for about a year ago because I would cry if I sat down at my desk (yes, I deal with anxiety and yes, that is the one drug I take regularly, if I don’t my life stops functioning). She said the first time I took it should be after a big meal when I have not been drinking alcohol and on a night when I didn’t have to work the next day so that I could judge how my body would react to the medication.

OK, I thought I’ll try it this Friday. I usually go out and have a big meal, and a few drinks, which I could skip and that would leave me with all day Saturday to recover if needed….OMG it was needed.

Now people, I have been drunk before and I have been hung over before and neither of these can even begin to describe how this felt. I took the pill after I went to dinner and went home. About ½ and hour later I still felt nothing….so thought ok not bad I can handle this….about 10 minutes later I thought I was tripping on acid….which I have never done…the room started to spin, the moon crashed into my house and the sun slept in my bed that night. Dragons were talking to me; Harry Potter saved me from falling off a building and at some point Wolverine kissed me. It was a serious trip.

Needless to say, I had a prescription for 30….and guess what…I still have 29!

Ambien Anyone….anyone

6 comments:

Erin said...

That doesn't sound very relaxing at all! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with it. I've heard a lot of good things about it up until now!

Um, so, if you're not using it... do you think you could send it my way??

Lol - seriously, I could use a night like that as a single mom ;)

lioux said...

My sleeping patterns have off lately too.

And I haven't had a medicated "trip" like that in years.

Anonymous said...

I slept like crap last night.

How much you gonna charge me??

Unknown said...

I think you are supposed to take them then go straight to bed. I have been on them before and that feeling stinks!!

Anonymous said...

Where is you?

Miss Trashahassee said...

Wolverine kissed you? Well then if you ain't gonna take the rest of them thangs I'll take 'em off yore hands right now honeychild an' I won't even charge you nothin.

BFF,
Miss T