Friday, July 13, 2007

Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix


I have to give this movie Five Stars because it was THAT good.

This movie is great from the beginning because we see the return of the Dursley’s who have not been in an HP film in what seems like ages. The dementors are also back and they look even scarier than they did in HP3. I have to say that I really liked the special effects that were used in this part of the movie. The dementors are no longer wearing hooded cloaks, so you see their “faces” and to be honest if I met one on the street I would probably faint dead away. The way the patronus charm is shown to work is also amazing with the dementor rolling and flying right off the screen. If this had been a 3D movie it would have landed in your lap.

The movie follows the book pretty closely and if you have a hard time understanding a few things in the movie it would be wise to read the book. JK Rowling has always done a great job at the beginning of every book catching the reader up (as best she can) with what has happened previous. I’m sure it gets harder as the books get more involved and longer, but she does her best.

The best parts of the movie were the battle between Voldemort and Dumbledore, Grimmauld Place, the return of Mrs. Weasley, Lupin and Sirus Black. Plus you get to see some of the new characters from the book. Bellatrix Lestrange is also in the movie, but not until almost the very end. Helena Bonham Carter plays this part perfectly and I would have loved to see her more, but hopefully she will return in HP6. You still have the other regular Death Eaters (Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, etc). The scene at the end where Harry and his friends are at the Department of Mysteries at the Ministry of Magic is great. It doesn’t play out quite like the book, but it is really good. You get to see how much each of them has grown and learned in the last five years.

Lastly, I really liked the way the movie showed the Room of Requirement and Harry training the students. Overall, I think this was a great part of the movie and really showed a future for Harry either as teacher or as a Dark Wizard hunter.

I know there is more that I am missing, but overall I have to say that this movie is my favorite so far….in addition with David Yates directing HP6 (which is due out next summer) we should be able to get a better understanding of the wizarding world.





2 comments:

Erin said...

Glad you liked it! For me, Harry Potter has never held any interest, but many of my friends love the movies and the books.

Annabel said...

I finally saw it today and thought it was good. It did stay fairly true to the book, but they did take some liberties. The dementors were good, but on a technical note, you wouldn't be able to see them as a muggle. The movie got it wrong with Mrs. Figg describing them. She is a squib and couldn't see them, but could note their presence. I also liked Harry teaching the others. I also thought Helena Bonham Carter did an exceptional job, but if she comes back in the 6th movie, it will be another brief appearance... at least within the storyline of the book. Now I'm anxiously awaiting the final book... just another week!