Thursday, August 02, 2007

Goodbye Harry

I’ve been putting off writing about this last book because I needed to take a few days to digest what I had read and how I really felt about the series coming to an end. I don’t want this to be a spoiler post for those few of you out there that may not have finished or even read the book. And I don’t want it to be the place that you learn of what happened in the final moments of Harry’s story. If I’m being completely honest I have to say that I’m a little sad to see Harry’s story come to an end. However, given that J.K. Rowling did a great job of ending the story, I have to say that he can now live on in my imagination and heart as a beloved character that I will go and visit again in the pages of the seven books.

I have to say that I really believe that J.K. Rowling did a great job of bringing it all full circle and to a great close. She tied up loose ends, she made me love the unlovable, forgive those that needed forgiving and see that even when you follow evil you may still have a heart. I have never felt such finality or closure with any series that I have read before this one. At the end of the day when I finally read page 759 of book 7 I was satisfied. I was OK with letting the characters go forward and live their lives on their own without me being a voyeur as I have been for the last several years. I felt that they had earned the right to live happily and forever in peace.

It is with that that I say Thank You to J.K. Rowling for giving me 17 years with Harry. I say Thank You to Harry for allowing me to come along for the adventure. I say Thank You to all the other characters that played such a significant role in bringing the books to life. And I say Goodbye to all those who died, all those who lived and all those yet to come……Thanks for the adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Harry Potter and although I'm sad to see it all come to an end I was happy with the ending. I admit to even crying a few times (like when Dobby died) me = baby

On another note, I'll be seeing you in Vegas!