Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Not a creature was stirring...NOT EVEN A SCORPION

I am not a big bug person. In fact there are few people I know that truly like bugs. There was that one weird guy in high school that thought he could make a career out of being in love with bugs….but again he was weird.

It is no surprise that here in the greater southwest we have bugs. Most of them don’t fly or bite….but those that do fly or bite are pretty nasty. The ones that have always scared me the most are scorpions for several reasons:

  1. They come in all sizes….extra small to extra large
  2. They hide in all the WRONG places, my shoes, under my desk, in the back of my cupboards
  3. They sting and it hurts
  4. They sting and it hurts….is there more a of a reason to be scared of them…

Anyway, the office building I work for has an exterminator come over every month. He sprays the inside and outside of the building. Because we have this monthly service we generally don’t see a lot of bugs. Occasionally we will see a roach or a cricket, but those are easily killed. However, for some reason this summer has left us with a bigger problem……scorpions in the office. They are all over the place and usually emerge about a week to ten days after the bug guy comes. Now by the time they start crawling out of the walls they are just about dead, but the problem we have is that they crawl into the deepest darkest places they can find to die.

This morning, my boss found one in his shoe that he took off for 10 minutes. Went to put it back on and there was a scorpion in his SHOE people….HELLO that is just wrong. The about 10 minutes later I was picking up something that had fallen on the floor and I look under my desk and there are three more. I freaked out…hit my head on my desk, said about 15 cuss words and screamed like a little girl. I would not go back to my office until some man decided that the coast was clear.

The right after lunch, the receptionist and I are talking about a project and going through a stack of envelopes that were in the storage closet. In the bottom of the box are two more dead scorpions. At that point I had had enough….I called the exterminator and told him in no uncertain terms that if he wanted there to still be a business to come to on a monthly basis he better figure out how the hell to get rid of these creatures.

Then I went to my boss's office and said the exterminator is on his way to deal with the creature problem…I’ll be back tomorrow. He was not happy, but I was thinking OK, six sightings in one day….next time I will probably sit or step on one…NO F-ING way! So, I’ve been home breathing into a paper bag trying to get my wits about me.

You want to know how badly I hate scorpions…..well, read Slick’s post about spiders…and that is how badly I hate scorpions…only difference between Slick and I is that I’m a girl….and he just screams like one!!! (love you buddy!!!)

2 comments: