Friday, August 10, 2007

My half side of beef (well more like a quarter) but whose counting

Yummy to my Tummy! I grew up a redneck girl. I mean I was part of one of those families that Jeff Foxworthy makes fun of during his “You Might be a Red Neck if…”part of his stand up routine. Therefore, since I was raised on a farm or at least my grandfather owned one I was brought up to appreciate what it takes to get the hamburger from the cow to the table.

I remember when I was about 11 and my Dad told me we were going to slaughter a beef and have fresh meat. I knew what slaughter meant, but what I didn’t know is that the “beef” he was talking about was a heifer I had named Bessie in my grandfather’s pasture. Now as traumatic as it was for me to somewhat witness that event (I didn’t see them actually take the cow down) I fell in love with red meat shortly there after. I didn’t know that a cow named Bessie could taste so good. Ribs, steak, hamburger and roast became objects of love and affection. I got to the point where I would just crave red meat.

Fast forward about 10 years, I am married with a small child and my grandfather asks if I want some beef from a cow they were going to slaughter and butcher (yes, we butchered our own and that is another story, walk in cooler and everything). I was like sure, how much can I get from you. He said about a quarter. I was very excited about that because I didn’t know how much a quarter of a cow really was, but I knew that there would be ribs, steak, hamburger, and roast.

The meat arrives about 10 days after the slaughter and I am amazed at the amount of meat. I mean this is basically for two people because my daughter was too little to eat it. We had beef coming out of our ears forever. I didn’t think it was possible to get tired of beef….let me tell you it is….

Fast forward again to about a week ago and a guy I work for tells me that they have a quarter beef that is available….what did I do…..

I went and bought a new freezer….

Come on over…..Beefs on ME!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Where's the beef? At ladibug's house, that is. Oh man, we always slaughtered pigs when I was a child and I will never forget truly fresh sausage and pork tenderloin. YUM! We are making the vegetarians sick with our banter!