Monday, August 27, 2007

Trip to the Dentist

It has been years since I had a cavity filled.....to be honest I really thought that cavities were something that only children got and once you became and adult you were exempt from having them again....apparently that is NOT the case. About two weeks ago I went to the dentist and he found a cavity on one of my upper left molars. OK, I can handle that...a cavity…… just a filling right...Yes...OK....got it. Well, I get there this morning for the appointment and I am nervous. I am not someone who gets nervous easily...and here I was just about to crawl out of my skin. I hate that feeling.

Get back to the chair....three shots of Novocain later and I feel like my face is going to fall on the floor. My lips are so numb that when I try to say something to ANSWER the questions the dentist is asking my left side of my mouth doesn't move...then I feel the weirdest sensation in my nose. I'm like OK...what the hell is that...I need to sneeze and when I did and I went to wipe my nose I couldn't feel it...MY NOSE WAS NUMB...OMG.

Ok I can deal with that. An hour later filling is done tooth looks great. I am talking to the receptionist and I think I am doing well when a long spittle of drool crashes on the desk....can you say OMG EMBARASSED BEYOND BELIEF. Moving past that I scared the crap out of a little kid on my way out of the office because I tried to smile at him and apparently I was pretty nasty looking when I smiled because only 1/2 my face worked. I smiled....he screamed and told his Mommy he didn't want to go see the bad man. Way to help the dentist out!

Then I get to the car and look in my review mirror...and my left eye won't blink...it just won't work. I try and tell it "blink" and it just sits there...and my eye starts to water and I try to blink...nothing. I freaked out...I looked like I had had a stroke...1/2 my face didn't work anymore.

Luckily about 2 hours later feeling was coming back...but it is still a little numb. Eating lunchy was fun. I went to a local sub-shop to get some tuna to go...not on bread. I spent 45 minutes trying to hold my mouth closed while I ate. Needless to say I smell like tuna and have a huge mayo stain on my shirt!. Now 6 hours later..……can you believe that...6 hours and I am still feeling a bit numb.

I guess that is better than feeling sore.

I hate the dentist!


5 comments:

Claudia said...

Dentists are our frineds.. I love mine. Wehn I didn't take care of my teeth and I felt PAIN, he made it all go away.

But yeah. The freeze is so friggen irritating.

Anonymous said...

I almost cursed my dentist out. I'm having to look for a new one.

They're cruel as hell....

lioux said...

Don't EVEN get me started on dental nightmares...

Karma said...

I hate the dentist. Sorry to hear about your embaressing moment. Hey, it's not your fault, right? He's the one who numbed ya. I wish cavaties were just some myth to scare people off.
Ellie.

Anonymous said...

Something tells me that he gave you just a little too much. But too much is better than too little in this case!

See ya at Blogasm!